Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Fresh dog food...

Does anyone out there makes their dogs, dog food? 
I googled it one day and on Pinterest there are tons of recipes. In Lolli’s old age, her stomach isn’t quite as strong as it used to be. She can’t eat beef anymore that’s for sure, pretty much chicken or turkey is all she can tolerate. She is about 13 years old, also has had about 3 teeth pulled. 
Yesterday was cooking day. One pot is ground chicken and the other is ground turkey. This will last around 2 weeks.  Depending if I feed the other 2 gran-dogs or not.  

Normal recipes I use is 3 pounds of ground chicken or turkey, 1 zucchini and 2 carrots grated up, kidney beans, frozen corn or mixed veggies, peas, etc... and 1 cup cooked brown minute rice for each pot. I’ll switch it up and add green beans, squash and other veggies.. I even have cut up an apple (NO SEEDS) And put it in. 


I bag them up in zip lock baggies with about 1 cup scoop in each baggie. Put them in freezer and every couple of days I’ll put about 4 bags in fridge to defrost. When it’s time to eat I’ll  Zap them in microwave for about 20 seconds, depends on if it’s still a little frozen or not.  She absolutely loves it! Much more energy and no stinky farts , EVER! I sometimes will put in about 1/4 cup of her dry, grain free food. I use a grain free, chicken & pumpkin dry dog food for older dogs. I think it’s Nature’s Recipe... can’t remember off the top of my head. I buy smaller bag so it won’t go bad or stale. 
She’s getting spoiled in her old age but is worth it. I know there’s not much time left so just spoiling her rotten.  

No comments: